Wednesday, October 10, 2012
North Cornwall is the ideal playground for the adrenaline junkie. We’ve got dizzying cliff-tops, wild waves and rugged terrain, all which provide the ultimate backdrop for adventure and activity.
If this sounds like your idea of heaven, take a look at our top five adrenaline junkie jaunts, all of which can be found within a short distance of Port Isaac:-
- Coasteering: fast becoming ‘the’ craze of the moment, coasteering involves following the coastline regardless of any obstacles in your way. Jumping off cliffs, swimming round bays, crawling through caves and climbing over boulders – it’s all part of the experience. A number of centres close to the Beach House now run coasteering sessions, including in nearby Port Quin, Polzeath and Tintagel.
- Stand-up paddle-boarding: we’ve all seen the surfer guys and gals riding the waves, but have you ever thought about trying stand-up paddle-boarding? It’s one of the oldest forms of surfing out there and it’s currently enjoying a revival. Check out the Stand Up Paddle Board School in Padstow to book a lesson.
- Abseiling: Dramatic cliff faces line our beaches, but you don’t just have to ogle at them from afar. If you’ve got a head for heights, get up there and try your hand at abseiling down them! You’ll be rewarded with a brilliant physical and mental challenge, not to mention some fantastic views across the coast. Abseiling adventures can be found throughout the county, including in Tintagel, Bude and Polzeath.
- Zip wire: Playing around on a zip wire is one of those things we never really grow out off. So how do you like the sound of a 660 metre long zip wire that spans the length of a 35 acre former clay pit? If this excites your inner child, head to the Eden Project near St Austell and get ready to tackle the longest zip wire in the UK.
- Mountain biking: off-road trails, coastal paths, disused quarries and ancient woodland, all encapsulated by beautiful scenery – we’ve got the perfect landscape for mountain biking, and there’s something here for every age and ability. To find the best routes around, hire bikes and instructors from centres in Tintagel, Bude and Polzeath.