Friday, May 18, 2012
With more and more people are choosing to holiday at home, the so-called ‘staycation’ is the new rage. Here at the Beach House, we agree that our green and pleasant land has plenty to offer happy holiday-makers; and none more so than Cornwall! Every year hundreds of thousands of tourists flock to the county; but why, exactly, is the area so popular? Well, we’ve got a few answers…
- Best of the beaches: Cornwall has some of the best beaches in the country, a claim recently confirmed by a survey carried out by TripAdvisor which named St Ives, Newquay, Bude and Harlyn Bay the UK’s fourth, sixth, seventh and tenth best beach destinations respectively. Oh yes, and we’ve got over a hundred to choose from!
- Sea ‘n’ Surf: We may have long stretches of golden sand, but we’ve also got an emerald ocean to go with it. In fact, 80% of the county is surrounded by the sea, while many beaches have been awarded a Blue Flag for their excellent water quality. With quiet coves suitable for paddling and some of the top surf spots in the UK, there’s something to match every need.
- Spectacular coastline: Cornwall is characterised by its spectacular coastline where you’ll find rare flowers, an array of wildlife and incredible cliff-top views. The South-West Coastal Path stretches the whole 300 miles, so you can experience it all on foot.
- Weather woes: As we all know, the UK isn’t known for its temperate climate! But Cornwall has some of the warmest weather in the country, all thanks to the Gulf Stream. So if you’re looking to top up your tan, this is the place to come.
- Great days out: From the Eden Project to Tintagel Castle, we play host to some of the most celebrated attractions in the South West. And with hundreds of other days out to choose from there’s no chance you’ll be bored, no matter what your age!
- Natural beauty: We may be bias, but Cornwall is a truly beautiful place. With gorse covered cliffs, golden beaches, a sparkling sea, oak-forested creeks, historic harbours, quaint villages and breath-taking views, there really is a picture-perfect scene round every corner.
- Top nosh: Whether you’re after a humble pasty, a traditional cream tea, some freshly caught seafood or a fine-dining experience, we’ve got the lot.
- Local Cornish charm: With quintessential fishing villages, medieval harbours, a relaxed way of life and friendly locals, Cornwall offers a certain charm that cannot fail to make you feel at ease.
- A taste of history: From ancient folklore to the ruins at Tintagel, and from the dis-used tin mines to smugglers coves, Cornwall has a rich history waiting to be explored.
- Magical childhood memories: With so much to offer, Cornwall promises to create some magical childhood memories that will have you wanting to return here with your own family time and time again.